G2 on Mac OSX

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 13 13:21:18 EDT 2005

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> I can now make dist on Debian unstable, FC3 and Mac OSX 10.3. I expected the
> Debian tarball to be smaller because it's using external libgoffice and soon
> will use external QOF (I have a G2 tree that uses external QOF and will
> commit the changes probably this weekend), however the Mac tarball is also a
> lot smaller. Not sure why.

The tarball should be the same on all platforms. If it's not, then
that's a "make dist" bug.  Just because you don't compile qof or
libgoffice on some platforms does NOT mean that those files should not
go into the dist tarball.  I.e., even optionally-compiled code and
libraries should be part of the dist tarball, regardless of the
platform on which "make dist" was run.

If this is not happening then you're probably missing a DIST_SUBDIRS
in a Makefile.am in your optional-compile target rules.

The /ONLY/ differences in the dist tarball across different platforms
should be a result of different versions of the auto-tools installing
slightly different versions of the support scripts (e.g. ltmain.sh, et
al).

I repeat:  QOF and libgoffice should remain in the dist tarball
EVEN on platforms that use an external QOF or libgoffice.