Painkiller: libtool link errors cause build to take twice as long

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 14 17:09:08 EDT 2005

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 04:54:13PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> What version of libtool do you have on your system?
>
> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.16 (1.1220.2.235 2005/04/25 18:13:26)

Hmm, that should be new enough to have the don't-relink fix...

>> Also what Distro is this?
>
> FC4.  Does it not happen elsewhere?

I haven't noticed it on my FC3 machine

>> (I'll note that this is why installing .la files is bad ;)
>
> Sorry, I missed the joke.  This isn't our fault, right?

Right.  Some fedora packages have the .la files installed.
IMHO the .la files should never be installed because it leads
to really weird build-time errors like this, especially when
dependent .la files don't exist or, in this case, the .la file
isn't where it was told it would be.