Request for help: Distro releases and library version table

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sat Oct 15 19:17:35 EDT 2005

I'm constantly forgetting or are unaware of what our target
distribution-releases are, and thus what library-versions that means we
are targetting.  To help record all the details, I've added the file
README.dependencies to CVS, on the gnome2 branch.

http://cvs.gnucash.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gnucash/Attic/README.dependencies?rev=1.1.2.4;content-type=text%2Fplain

In there, I've added the major distros (as per distrowatch) and the
names and release-dates of their last couple/few releases.  I've
annotated the latest releases that are more than 6 months old, and thus
the one we're targeting.

I started to try to fill it all in myself, but it's often not obvious to
someone not using a particular distro for where to look to obtain this
information, especially over time.

I need your help, gnucash-user[s], to fill in the rest of the list.
Please post the *latest* version number of the libraries/packages
(listed at the top of the file) that were distributed either as part of
the release or in an official updated package for the release; David
Hampton and I filled in the Gentoo and FC4 sections as an example.  If
there are more relevant details you think are worth noting, please
contribute that as well.

I notice in compiling this that most of the distros did a major release
in 2005-09 or 2005-10... as such, these will become targettable in the
February timeframe, which isn't that far away w.r.t. the G2 port and
release.

...jsled