Request for help: Distro releases and library version table

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Oct 16 12:01:10 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 17:48 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> In the case of Debian, this isn't the way it goes.  Don't target
> Debian sarge; target Debian unstable, which is in progress now.
>
> The freeze is expected sometime about a year from now.

Hmm, maybe I wasn't clear.

Especially since it's been so long since the last release, we should
seek to make the next release one that can work on fielded systems.  As
such, it shouldn't depend on libraries that are currently in the
unstable/testing/development track of distributions.  We should release
something that can conceivably be compiled and/or packaged for
distributions that exist in the world today.  "Today", here, is defined
as "released for 6 months".

Otherwise, it's going to be 1.6 all over again, but I fear the effect
would be much worse, this time.

I don't think we need a policy like this forever, but as long as we have
super-long periods between releases, we'll need something like it.

Certainly when the next Debian stable release is frozen we should have
an updated version of gnucash that's using contemporary libraries.  But
I'm focused on now, not a year from now, right now.

...jsled