Request for help: Distro releases and library version table

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 12:59:38 EDT 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 5:01 pm, Josh Sled wrote:
> Especially since it's been so long since the last release, we should
> seek to make the next release one that can work on fielded systems.  As
> such, it shouldn't depend on libraries that are currently in the
> unstable/testing/development track of distributions.

That's a misconception of how Debian works. Of course we target library
versions of certain fixed distributions but Debian policy is that all new
releases go into unstable (unless experimental is justified) and move through
the procedure from there. Unstable itself is a moving target and the package
maintainers will take care of the exact versions of the libraries as of that
time.

Unfortunately, this makes for difficult work with regard to the libgoffice
snapshot which fits one specific libgsf version and not later ones.

> We should release
> something that can conceivably be compiled and/or packaged for
> distributions that exist in the world today.  "Today", here, is defined
> as "released for 6 months".

In Debian, that target is Debian unstable.

> Certainly when the next Debian stable release is frozen we should have
> an updated version of gnucash that's using contemporary libraries.  But
> I'm focused on now, not a year from now, right now.

Then we release a tarball based on whichever versions we need for the
"lowest-common-denominator" with provisions for later versions and the Debian
maintainers package it for the latest versions in unstable. That's how Debian
works.

--

Neil Williams