Next gnucash version numbers

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Oct 16 16:28:36 EDT 2005

Dear developers,

just to bring up this issue again in a more formal way: We are now clearly
heading towards a release cycle of gnucash with gnome2.

The old gnucash-1.8.x release series might have one last gnucash-1.8.12
release which contains only bugfixes, but doesn't introduce new features or
new/changed dependencies.

The new gnucash will have fundamentally different dependencies; it will have
hopefully just as many features as the gnucash-1.8.x had, but for a small
transition period we might even tolerate a slightly smaller feature set.
Ultimatively, with the gnucash on gnome2 of course we will have a much
improved ui and also hopefully many more features.

However, the version number of the upcoming gnucash release cycle has not yet
been finally decided. I propose that the eventual stable release series
should begin with "gnucash 2.0.0" and then be continued as gnucash-2.0.x. The
goal for gnucash-2.0.x is feature parity with 1.8.x but based on gnome2, as
the name tells. If there are new features ready for 2.0.x then even better,
but any not-quite-ready features will be deferred into a later 2.2.x release.

Additionally, I propose that we should start as soon as possible with
pre-releases of the upcoming gnucash-2.0.0, which can still be in a quite
buggy state. I propose that we make an extra release cycle from these,
starting from "gnucash-1.9.0" and then be continued as gnucash-1.9.x. The
1.9.x  series should be considered "alpha" or "beta" releases, i.e. not for
production use but only for testing and bugfixes.

In some very visionary moments I think we might even come out with this very
first gnucash-1.9.0 alpha still this year. That would be mid-December
(nothing will happen around Christmas, so it's either mid-December or
January). The next 1.9.1 and so on should follow every 1-2 weeks. Those
releases don't need to be tested as extensively as the stable ones are; they
are really only supposed for testing by people who don't want to deal with
CVS. IIRC there has been some talk about automating this task already; that's
even better.

Thoughts? Comments?

Christian