Error building gnucash 1.8.12

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Oct 20 05:08:11 EDT 2005

Dear Christian,

I guess you are building on a SuSE system? Then, according to
http://linuxwiki.de/GnuCash/SourceInstall, you need to specify the
following argument at ./configure:

   ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu

This is a known problem with SuSE and won't be fixed in the
gnucash-1.8.x series.

The clear indication that this has been the error is that when running
./configure, you get the following output:

checking dynamic linker characteristics... unknown
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no

-- and static libraries are the WRONG THING (TM) for gnucash.

Christian