Error building gnucash 1.8.12

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Oct 20 09:07:34 EDT 2005

Dear Christian,

Rauch Christian schrieb:

>>   ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>
> if building with this argument i get the following error:
> checking if scanf supports %lld conversions... configure: error: cannot
> run test program while cross compiling

That's bad. That was the known workaround for SuSE 9.3, 9.2, and 9.1.

> i get the following output with and without this argument:
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... unknown
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
> checking whether to build shared libraries... no
> checking whether to build static libraries... yes
>
> I am building on openSUSE 10.0 Final.

As long as you get this output, gnucash won't run. You definitely *have*
to get the output as described on
http://linuxwiki.de/GnuCash/SourceInstall , which looks like

checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether to build static libraries... no

If you know a little bit of shell coding, you might want to have a look
in the ./configure script at the place where the linker characteristics
are decided. I'm very sure that you should be able to fix it with one or
two ./configure arguments.

Christian