backend-file loading check; reasons for gncla-dir.h? (was: Changelog - (end))

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Oct 21 04:48:55 EDT 2005

Dear Neil,

thanks for committing a solution to this problem.

As it is not yet clear whether this fixes all potential setups, can you
please additionally insert a check into the gnucash code that will check
for the correct loading of the gnc-backend-file library? In the current
gnucash, the whole program will fail if that backend-file hasn't been
loaded. So can you please make a check for this a fatal assertion for
now? That will make the source of the problem much more obvious than the
weird "namespace error" messages.

For the record, I don't use opt-style-install, too, because I try to use
as much of the default settings as possible. (Although the experimental
branches will be installed in separate --prefixes anyway.) So that
potential end-user (installation) problems will already show up during
development.

And nevertheless I still don't fundamentally understand the need for
passing directory names by C header files. I would still think we were
better off if none such mechanism would be needed.

Not to mention the fact that this is surely not at all part of the
changes that are "essential" for the initial gnucash-2.0.0 release.
Ceterum Censeo [1] this and similar fundamental changes in src/engine/
which are non-essential for gnome2 should be done on a separate branch,
*not* on the branch that is intended to reach a gnome2-release as soon
as possible.

Christian

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases#C