Failing automake when trying to build version from CVS

Tor Harald Thorland linux at strigen.com
Sun Oct 2 05:14:15 EDT 2005

Sorry Neil, pressed the wrong reply button again so you get duplicate messages.

Neil Williams wrote:

>> Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
>> | Neil Williams wrote:
>>
>> Guile and gwrap are the bane of my life and I can honestly say I have
>> almost zero understanding of how they work, go wrong or get fixed.
>>
>> So please ensure that your replies go to the list where others who
>> understand guile can read the thread.

OK, ill see if i can find any list for some help on that.

>> I am deliberately writing cashutil to exclude all guile and gwrap code.
>> I keep being assured that scheme, guile and gwrap are easy but they
>> are not.
>>
>> | One thing here is... what packages should I install...
>>
>> Theoretically:
>>
>> The runtime code should be required for runtime gnucash.
>> The devel packages should be required to build gnucash.
>>
>> (If only it were that simple - the current fragile build also requires
>> some runtime functionality for reasons I don't really understand.)
>>
>> | If I install
>> | libguile-dev, then it will remove guile-1.6-dev,
>>
>> Which distribution are you using?

I'll installed Ubuntu 5.10., and if I enable the community supported
repo's, then all the packages i'll need are there. Ready to be
installed. On fedora, i'll had to add a lot of different repos to add
the packages, and in the end, that "killed" my install.

>> | and the same if i will
>> | install guile-1.6-dev it will remoe the lib...
>>
>> That seems strange to me - there should be a binary package to
>> complement every devel.
>>
>> |   The same thing is a
>> | fact on the G-Wrap. Which files should be installed?
>>
>> Both.
>>  :-(

An example. When i put libgwrapguile-dev for install, synaptics tells me
it will remove g-wrap & libgwrap-runtime0-dev and it will install
libgwrapguile 1 in addition to the libgwrapguile-dev.

>> | Dont tell me I'm stuck here. I wan't to try this program, and make an
>> | effort in the translation at the same time.  :-)
>>
>> The build problems with the 1.8 gnucash tree were almost legendary - it
>> looks like you have the same problems. Each of my builds have to be
>> nursed and tweaked to completion.
>>
>> Do you need to build the entire tree?

I want to run gnucash and use it for my "private company", at the same
time i was hoping to translate some to Norwegian when I was using the
program. I'm not a pro translator, but I saw that 20 percent or
something was translated, and that was back in 2002.
I't is really not a big thing for me but Ill like to contribute for the
"free software".

THT

>> You could call the gettext and intltool commands directly maybe.

So you mean that i could translate without the build.. but how can I see
the changes, I'll then have to wait for the next release or is there
some nightly builds or something similar availiable?

THT