G2 Testing - Gnucash Preferences

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Thu Oct 27 10:29:26 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 00:49 -0400, Volker Englisch wrote:
> I spent some time testing the Preferences options.  I couldn't test all
> of the options but most of them:
> In general I noticed that the case of the labels is not consistent (or I
> didn't see the rule).  The labels are written in mixed case as in
>     New Search Limit
> and in lower case (except for the first character) as in
>     New search limit
> The other thing I noticed is that the tool labels (?) - the label
> displayed when the pointer hovers over an input field - are not given
> everywhere.

>From my reading of the Gnome Human Interface Guidelines, the name for a
group of labels should have each word capitalized.  E.g. "Reverse
Balanced Accounts".  All individual preferences should be in sentence
capitalization.  E.G. "Use formal accounting labels".  I've updated the
preferences dialog to follow this pattern.

> The options in details:
> a) Accounts
>     Typo: Reverse Balanced Accoutns
>                            ^^^^^^^^
>     Missing Tool Tip: Options under "Default Currency"

Both fixed.

> b) Business - not tested since I personelly don't use this feature
>     Missing Tool Tip: "Open in new window"

I added a tooltip.

> c) Date/Time
>     Date Format:  Use a different example (e.g. 07/31/2005). For the
>                   given sample the format for Locale and US are identical
>                   but should be
>                    07/31/2005 vs. 7/31/2005

Good point.  I also updated the CE/UK/US labels to show a two digit year
since that's what the format actually uses.

>     Missing Tool Tip:  Locale, US, UK, ...

Added.

>     I was wondering what the Time Format is used for?  I can't think of
>     anything that displays the time.

There isn't, but the support and the preference have always been in
gnucash.

> d) General
>     Missing Tool Tip: "Show close button on notebook tabs"

Added.

> e) Online Banking - not tested since my HBCI is not set up
>     Missing Tool Tip: Use bayesion matching

Added.

> f) Register
>     Missing Tool Tip: 'Enter' moves to blank transaction
>                       All check boxes under Graphics

Added.

>     Option "'Enter' moves to blank transaction"
>            According to the documentation for GC 1.8.11 the 'Enter' key
>            enter should move the cursor to the next row.

I added a tooltip with this text.

>            However, the cursor is positioned at beginning of current row
>            instead.

This sounds like a bug.

> g) Register Defaults
>     Missing Tool Tip: Default Style Options; Other defaults check boxes

Added.

> h) Reports
>     Missing Tool Tip: All

Added.

> i) Scheduled Transactions  - GC crashed!

I see you've covered this in a later message.

>     The default value for "Register lines" is set to 2.  I think this
>     value should be increased to display at least 3 lines in the
>     Scheduled Transaction Editor.

I see this as a default of 6 lines in the code.  If you remove the
~/.gconf/apps/gnucash directory, restart gconf with 'gconftool-2
--shutdown', and then start gnucash do you still see a value of 2?

>     The value for the option "Register Lines" has no effect.

Josh, can you look at this when you  next work on scheduled
transactions?

> j) Summary Bar
>     Missing Tool Tips: All

Oops.  Fixed.

> k) Windows - OK
>     Missing Tool Tips: All

Oops again.  Fixed.

>     Toolbar Style:  The Option "Text beside icons" doesn't show text
>                     (except for the Save button)

That's normal.  In that setting the text label is only shown for the
most frequently used buttons.  I've put similar text into the tooltips.

The HIG says there should be no more than four buttons in a toolbar that
are marked as "frequently used".  If you believe other buttons should
have labels in this mode we can certainly add/change which buttons are
labeled.

>     Option "Save Window Size and Position": Ignored

This should currently work for all dialog windows.  I'm still working on
the code for the main content windows.

Thank you for taking the time to work through the g2 version of gnucash.

David