G2 Testing

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Fri Oct 28 13:42:51 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 09:41 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> Volker has been so inspiring that I've gotten motivated to do some testing.

:-)

> 1) Mouse wheel is inconsistent: When all the accounts are expanded in
> the accounts tab so that they fill the window, the mousewheel behaves as
> expected by scrolling. This does not funtion in the register.

I committed a fix for this on the 23rd.  How recent is your tree?

> 2) Register Default Preference: changing the register default style does
> not apply until the current register tab is closed and reopened. Any
> open register tabs must be reclosed and re-opened for this to apply.

That's why these settings are on the "Register Defaults" page instead of
the "Register" page.  :-)  Yes, I know just about everything else is
instant apply.  I was using the "Default" keyword to distinguish between
instant apply settings and "not" instant apply setting.  E.G. The
accounts page has a "Default Currency" that only applies to newly
created accounts, the scheduled transaction page has a defaults section
that only applies to newly created scheduled transactions, etc.  Is
there another label or phrasing I could use to make it clearer that
these settings only apply when a register page is created?

> IOW, it is possible to have multiple registers open with different
> styles. This is surely counter-intuitive at a minimum.

I do this fairly often where I'll put one register in journal mode while
all the others are in basic mode.

It is possible to have these setting instantly affect all open
registers.  The problem comes when you start looking at which registers
are in their default opened state and which have been modified by the
user from the View menu since they were opened.  Should you apply the
new settings to all open registers or only those in the default state?
What's the criteria for when you do and don't modify a register?   I'd
prefer to leave this as just a setting for newly opened registers.

> 4) selecting an account from within a report using the hotlinks
> increases size of the window by a few pixels each time.

I don't see this problem on my FC4 system.  What distribution are you
using?  Also, which report was this so I can make sure I'm accurately
recreating the scenario where the problem occurs.

David