Mailing List Options [was Re: Switching...]

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Oct 30 19:18:01 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 18:56 -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> Reasoning:
>   X  -patches should go to -devel.
>      * All submitted patches should be up for discussion.
>      * It's hard to know before hand what patches actually will generate
>         discussion.
>      * It's hard to move the thread after-the-fact.

I generally agree that submitted patches could go to -devel without
issue.

(Assuming staying on a different list) We could have a standing rule
that all discussion should immediately go to -devel... in the same way
that -changes mails right now have a 'Reply-To: gnucash-devel[...]'
header.

>   X  -changes should go to -devel.
>      * Any commited change might generate discussion.
>      * Again, hard to know before; hard to move after.
>      * Again, anyone on -devel should be willing to see commits.

I can imagine a large class of -devel subscribers that would be put off
by being forced into receiving every commit and its diff.  Certainly
filtering and mailers are our friends, but it really does seem like
different lists to me.

...jsled