G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Oct 30 20:34:02 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 17:54 -0400, David Hampton wrote:
> I think my misunderstanding of the sx settings when I created the
> preferences may be contributing to the problem.  Can you clarify for me
> whether my current understanding is correct.  (Line numbers refer to the
> sxed dialog options settings in Tim's picture.)
>
> The "create automatically" seems to be a master setting. If clear, all
> the other settings are ignored.  If checked, then transactions will be
> created on the date of the transaction.  If the checkbox in line three
> is selected, then transactions will not be created on the actual date of
> the transaction, but will be created x days early.  If transactions are
> being created automatically, the "notify me when created" checkbox seems
> obvious.  You get a message when a transaction is created.  I'm confused
> about the final line though.  Does this move the creation announcement
> forward by x days, or is this an additional reminder that occurs in
> advance of creating the transaction.  Also is this number of days
> calculated from the date of the transaction, or the date that the
> transaction will be created.  For example, if I have a transaction to be
> created on December 1st, marked as create 7 days in advance and a
> reminder 10 days in advance, when does the reminder occur?  November
> 14th (ten days before the transaction is created) or 21st (den days
> before the transaction is dated).

As per coordination in #gnucash, I've already made these changes, but
FTR I'll reply here...

"Create automatically" conditionalizes only "notify when (automatically)
created" -- if it's not being created automatically you'll be notified
by definition in the SX-SLR dialog.

The options code-named "notify_days" is really "remind_days"; I've
renamed them in the schema and code appropriately to forestall future
confusion with the other unrelated "notify [when auto-created]" option.

The spinbuttons in this preference dialog behave *slightly* differently
than in the editor; in the preferences, "0" is a magic value meaning
"don't check the create-/remind-in-advance option *and* make the value
0."; as a corollary: non-zero in the preferences means "check the option
and set the spinbutton to be this non-zero value."   Thinking about it
now, there's no real reason for the editor to have both a checkbox and a
spinbutton: 0 can be a sentinel value there too... maybe I'll file an
RFE for that later.

I don't recall if the create-in-advance and remind-in-advance are
cumulative, but they should be, of course.  Otherwise, you can end up in
a weird state.

...jsled