G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions[/Register]

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Oct 30 21:09:24 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 02:23 -0400, Volker Englisch wrote:
> I don't know if the scheduled transactions are ready for testing since
> they crash GC frequently but here are a few things I noticed:

"crash[ing] GC frequently" is generally not my experience with them,
currently.  If possible, can you attach to the crashed process with gdb
when you see the "has crashed" dialog and get a backtrace?

Do this by running gdb against '/usr/bin/guile', then attaching to the
PID mentioned in the crash dialog:
    $ gdb /usr/bin/guile
    gdb> attach <<pid>>
    gdb> bt

> When creating a transaction that is being created via the option "Since
> Last Run" and listed in the "To Create Transaction Preparation" and I am
> requested to enter a value (i.e. for a utility) clicking the Forward
> button without entering the required value displays the "To Create
> Transaction Preparation" window again.  However, this time the size of
> the read-only register at the bottom is increased (by a few pixels).
> Pressing the Forward button repeatedly increases the register each time
> by the same amount.

:(  I was hoping we'd be past this perennial window-resize issue; I
notice in other threads your tree was a bit old; does this still occur
for you?  I do not see this behavior; pressing forward simply selects
the next transaction that needs a variable binding and updates the
proposed-transaction register, without resizing.

> The values for 'create NN days in advance' and 'Remind me NN days in
> advance' can't be modified.  These entered values can only be turned on
> or off but the number of days can not be changed.

I've re-layed-out the dialog to deal with this.  In gtk 1.x, any widgets
in the label of a checkbox were manipulable, but apparently not in gtk2;
I've made them two seperate widgets, side by side.

> When I have the option for the 'Since Last Run' to 'Run when data file
> opened' GC appears to be crashing frequently - when clicking in the
> Scheduled Transactions window; when selecting preferences, when
> scrolling, etc. So far, GC only crashed for me when I was working with SX.

Yeah, I notice a bunch of console noise when opening the SLR dialog.  I
don't recall seeing the spewage here before, either. :(  I've tried only
a few flows through the SLR dialog, and without crashes.  I'll take a
deeper look.  Any reproduction scripts you can offer would be great.

> I also was able to crash GC when selecting the the option 'Draw
> horizontal lines between cells' of the 'Register' preferences.  (I
> wanted to see if this option effects the SX window and it did in two
> ways. :-) )
> Selecting this option while the 'Since Last Run' window is open appears
> to be a certain crasher but I still need to build a good test case.

I can reproduce this as well by:
- open SX editor
- close SX editor
- open Register prefs
- change either "draw {horiz,vert} lines" option
--> crash.

This leads me to believe SXes aren't cleaning up their register
properly...

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 22:35 -0400, Volker Englisch wrote:
> I did some more testing with SX:
>
> - Creating a new SX
>    It appears that the values for the "Days in Advance" for a new SX are
>    being populated from the defaults listed in the preferences for
>    'Scheduled Transactions' even when the preferences are unchecked.
>
>    Set the values in the preferences to anything other then '0', then
>    uncheck the options.
>    Now create a new SX. The values from the preferences are being used
>    _and_ the options are checked by default.

These are fixed, now.  The preferences are respected and populated.

> - Creating a new SX
>    I'm setting the frequency of the transaction and the start date. After
>    this I want to specify the transaction and click anywhere in the
>    transaction template.
>    This causes the start date and the displayed calendar view to change
>    to 2004-01-01.

I cannot reproduce this; can you find a script to reproduce, please?

> - Saving a new SX crashes GC.  The message
>      unknown, but with movement
>    is displayed 50 times on the console.
>    (I had this come up twice but can't recreate it right now)
>    I am, however, able to save a new SX if I don't enter anything in the
>    transaction template.

I'm unable to reproduce this, either.  The "unknown, but with movement"
messages relate to the selection-dragging code in the register, but I'm
not sure if they're related to the crash.

> - Running the 'Since Last Run' I have a single transaction with status
>      Ready to create
>    The information for the split for this SX is not displayed in the
>    Transaction Template.  When I click on the transaction to display
>    the split, GC crashes.

I cannot reproduce this; can you after the other register updates you took on?

>    However, if I click the forward button, the 'Transaction Review'
>    window appears and the program runs into a loop and the window size
>    increases.  The bottom of the window moves towards the bottom of the
>    screen and the window needs to be canceled.  The transaction is
>    applied, though.

Hmm.  Can't reproduce this either; it resizes a bit when I click on
individual transactions, but it doesn't loop w/o bound.

> - Display of upcoming transactions
>    When displaying the upcoming transactions by means of clicking in
>    the calendar and hovering over the calendar dates, the small window
>    first gets created in the upper left corner of the screen displaying
>    the correct information in regards to the mouse position.
>    As soon as the mouse gets moved, though, the small window follows the
>    mouse pointer.

Fixed.

> - Register (SX transaction template)
>    (I think these are problems with the register and not the SX)
>    When entering the transaction in the template the pointer is not
>    visible when I move from one field to the next using the TAB key
>    or using a mouse click.  The pointer becomes visible when I start
>    typing or when I click in the field a second time.

I believe this was fixed in other register changes you took on.

> - Register (SX transaction template)
>    When entering the account like this
>       ex:u:
>    to jump to
>       Expenses:Utilities
>    and then open the account list manually (GC1.8 opens the account list
>    automatically) I should be able to see the accounts under Utilities.
>    However, the account list does not display with the
>    Expenses:Utilities account in view.  Instead, the list displayed is
>    the top of the accounts list.

Fixed generally in the register (thanks Scott Oonk! :).  Note that the
auto-popup behavior is now a Preference.

> - Register (SX transaction template)
>    Entering a value (e.g. '20.00') without entering an account or a memo
>    for the first split causes everything else entered so far to be reset
>    when tabbing to the second split.

I can reproduce this.  The SX-register seems a bit more strict (and
funky) than the normal register about editing, for some reason...
<sigh>the whole goal of using the register here was so they'd behave the
same.</sigh>

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 12:04 -0400, Tim Wunder wrote:
> In a related issue:
> It would seem to be a good idea to have the preferences dialog mirror the SX
> creation Options section.
>
> See screenshot http://www.thewunders.org/files/pics/SX-prefs.jpg

Fixed; the prefs are closer to the dialog, now, both above and below the
surface.

...jsled