GnuCash design / new features

Brian Rose b_rose at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 31 09:59:07 EST 2005

> Another option we've discussed previously is e-guile..  This would make
> invoice templates effectively hand-written HTML with embedded guile..
> So if you wanted to change the look at feel of your invoice you would
> just edit the HTML until it looked how you wanted it to look..  And then
> the embedded guile interpreter would run the template you created
> and display it with the relevant information.
>
> Then we could also distribute a bunch of templates (similar to iBiz)
> and you could choose one or create your own.

I like this idea.

> Unfortunately as I was looking for an e-guile link I noticed that the
> author restructured his website and the old page is no longer there.
> I just emailed him about it.  As I recall e-guile was effectively a single
> source file, so we could just copy-and-paste it into GnuCash and then
> someone would just need to figure out how to integrate it into the
> report subsystem and set up a runtime environment for a report template.

Once we have access to that source I would like to
look into it.

>> Sounds good, but what do you think, Derek, about 2,3, and 4--directly
>> above?
>

> I think they sound like a great idea.  I would love for someone to dedicate
> time to coalescing all the various docs, finding out what docs are missing,
> what docs are duplicated, and honing down our docs into:
>
>  user-docs  (gnucash-docs package)
>  dev-docs   (in doxygen)
>  build docs (README, HACKING, ...)
>  arch docs  (everything else, which bridges the gaps)
>
> I don't believe we'd need something like Drupal for this; I think this
> could all be done in CVS/SVN.

Hmmm, but is there anywhere that says in stuff
like in version 2.5 we will have whatever,
and in v. 3.0 will be these features as well. A
current roadmap I guess. Is it not neccessary to
have all this and the docs above on the/a website?
Right now there is the wiki, gnucash.org,
and then independent developers' sites all with
different info. I want to sound rude, just that
I was confused at where Gnucash is going after G2,
so I thought if I am confused maybe
others are as well--hence the website suggestions.
For example, I read the QSF part on
Neil's site and now I wonder what QOF/QSF has to
do with G2, SQL backend, multi-user
support, .... I am sorry and maybe I am a bit
green on developing such an app, but I just
don't get any of the stuff with QOF/QSF. Is it
part of the "Free the data" concept or to
support multiple backends/platforms or what?

Sincerely,
Brian

--
Contagious Design!
web . design . photo

Brian Rose .  web programmer
(604)-630-2426 . brianATcontagiousdesignDOTnet