Adding a Payroll calculator

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Mon Oct 31 13:16:07 EST 2005

Jay Scherrer wrote:
><<snip>>
> For discussion, this was why I had at first suggested a payroll
> calculator under GnuCash->tools. Using a framework much like the
> Financial calculator by letting the user edit any taxable percentages.
>
> Or, as I found your gnc_Employee and gnc_business classes. You could add
> a table (class) specifically for payroll taxes that would reflect upon
> the nature of the employee and the business. You started by adding a
> rate classification.
> Seems only logical to add to the employee class:
> Type key (hourly, salary, commission),
> Job description key (laborer, assembly, management).
> And for the Business class:
> An industry key, to match the country's industry classifications.
> Example For US: matching the IRS business classification (for LandI
> rates).
> The entries for these would be presented while one is creating the
> company and or employee (GnuCash->Business->Employees->New).
> Then these keys would be assigned to an editable field by the account
> creator allowing for any changes/updates to the tax tables issued by the
> respective governments. These factors would be used when entering any
> wage or salary payments to the employee to automatically calculate
> deductions.
>
> Just a suggestion.
>
> Jay Scherrer

IMHO, based on the broad requirements of many jurisdictions in the
gnucash user base, the more generic the solution the better. I suppose
that at some point it becomes no easier than using a spreadsheet, but
bypasses the importing requirements of that solution.

In my past  thoughts on this, it seemed reasonable to come up with a
handful of different classes of payroll items with all the numbers (tax
percentages, wage bases, etc) applied directly by the user. Ummm.. sort
of like setting up tax tables. Create a table, assign a name and a
variety of features for that particular instance and save it. Then apply
the appropriate items to each employee as they are created/edited. Is
this what you are getting at?  Each employee record would point to its
payroll record and have any number of fields for various requirements
(wage, taxes, deductions, etc). Some of the fields could have a prompt
flag that would prompt the user for this information at the time payroll
is executed. Obvious one would be hours worked, but other could be
"reported tips" or "reimbursements". IIRC I had narrowed this down to
just a handle of classes to get most thigns to work. (My knowledge of
gnucash code is -> 0 and my coding is rusty -> infinity so my vocabulary
above is probably wrong ;) ).

When you process the payroll, at the point that you execute the payroll,
the pertinent information is calculated and then stored in the payroll
transaction (probably in the memo and description fields).

Am I following you correctly? are we talking about the same thing?