QofBackend / QofSession changes in next commit.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 17:54:17 EDT 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 12:11 am, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Mostly I'm thinking about how we upgrade users from xml -> SQLite..
> I'd prefer
> to not require user intervention to convert to the new format.  But perhaps
> we should?  I don't know.

I'll look at providing a "primary" or "default" backend for each
access_method. Each application can, naturally, have their own preference (or
leave it completely to the user). I anticipate accepting the name string from
the backend option config XML as the identifier.

To silently upgrade from the deprecated XML to the preferred SQLite, we could
use a set_default call within the main window startup code. Unlike
change_backend which would be specific to the current session, the default
(if set) would cover all sessions loaded or saved by that process (subject to
the access_method) and would automatically call change_backend inside, maybe,
qof_session_save.

Maybe user intervention and change_backend won't be used by GnuCash - I can
see some areas where it could be used by CashUtil and it's probably useful in
other areas.

--

Neil Williams