Re -Werror and backup plans

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Sep 5 05:13:53 EDT 2005

Just another remark for the -Werror issue: At least one of Neils code
problems were related to the "declaration after code" issue.

[Explanation: That happens if you don't put all C declarations at the
beginning of your function but you accidentally add more declarations
after the first lines of code (e.g. after a g_assert). That is allowed
in C++ and in C since C99, but the different gccs reacted quite
differently. gcc2.x refuses to compile that outright. gcc3.1, 3.2 and
3.3 however will silently accept that, which is a problem. Therefore
gcc3.4 and 4.x introduces the additional warning switch
-Wdeclaration-after-statement, which in combination with -Werror will
realiably prevent you from accidentally adding that.]

Bottom line: You should make sure not only to have -Werror but
additionaly also -Wdeclaration-after-statement if you have at least
gcc3.4 available (configure.in should add that automatically). And if
you temporarily cannot use -Werror you should at least still add
-Wdeclaration-after-statement to your CFLAGS so that you at least see
these warnings.

Neil Williams schrieb:
>>PS: I use FC3.

By the way I keep on using SuSE (9.3 currently), precisely because we
need that distro diversity in our project or otherwise we will
unintenionally rely on distro-peculiarities and run into massive
problems when other users want to use our releases.

> Could you do me a quick favour, off-list? This is going to be a fresh network
> install from a FC3 DVD - January 05, gnome 2.8 libraries, 2.6.9 kernel, etc.
> - could you drop me a line with a list of the packages I'll need specifically
> for G2? It's been *years* since I did anything RPM-based!

For SuSE and 1.8-branch we have such a list on
http://www.linuxwiki.de/GnuCash/SourceInstall (under "Weitere
erforderliche Pakete" = Other required packages). You can extrapolate
that gnome2 requires similar gnome2-packages as the ones mentioned there.

However, in Suse9.3 one of the offered pre-selections was called "Gnome
development", and if I installed these I think I already got everything.
Except for slib and g-wrap. g-wrap was not available as suse9.3 rpm so
that had to be installed from tarball.

Good luck :-)

Christian