Timeframes

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 15 11:27:29 EDT 2005

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> I'd also like to extend the libgda role in QOF to provide more choice of
> backends - I see no reason why QOF cannot use SQLite and Postgres +/- MySQL
> directly in the same generic manner as QSF.

Adding a database backend adds overhead in terms of cache coherency.
You need to make sure that multiple QOF applications running against
the same SQL database maintain the same cache of QOF objects in core.
That way when one application makes a change to the database the other
application sees the change.  This would be _expected_ in a sql backend.
It's not expected in a file backend.

Just keep this in mind.

If you DO solve this in the QOF arena, well, it would be nice  :)
I _think_ it might mean that we don't need to solve it in gnucash..
maybe...