[Gnucash-changes] Fix function name.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 14:00:25 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 8:50 pm, Didier Vidal wrote:
> > > HACK ALERT: the scan and print routines should probably be moved to
> > > somewhere else. The engine really isn't involved with things like
> > > printing formats. This is needed mostly by the GUI and so on. If a
> > > file-io backend needs date handling, it should do it itself, instead of
> > > depending on the routines here.
>
> In general, message formats, date formats, number formats are not
> considered as GUI. I don't know enough the GnuCash module organization
> yet to comment specifically here.

There is a distinction between the GUI, the src/engine directory and QOF. QOF
has no role in printing date formats and these functions need to be moved
out. I've no objection to a new file in src/engine but I think src/gnome may
be better.

> Formatting is definitely user-facing,

Agreed, and QOF is definitely not user facing.

> but pretty independant from a GUI implementation, or any interaction
> process.

As are the objects, budgets and other non-GUI code - these functions may be
suitable for the core logic library that is being considered.

I face a similar situation with the interactive shell being developed for
CashUtil and which will fit effortlessly into other CLI QOF projects like
pilotqof. It just doesn't fit within the QOF library and is easier to
customise for each one if it's simply copied in.

Unlike objects, applications do not share a UI easily.

--

Neil Williams