Gnucash and utf-8 : summary

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 12:51:21 EDT 2005

On Sunday 25 September 2005 4:40 pm, Didier Vidal wrote:
> gnucash looks fine with utf-8. Neil's suggestion to write the encoding
> in write_v2_header in io-gncxml-v2.c makes a lot of sense.

(I wish my other code problems were so easy to solve!)

> The error I observed ("é" written with an ISO-8859-1 encoding) was due
> to a bug in libxml. I had libxml 2.6.16 on my machine.

I'm not so sure that it was confirmed as a bug. The question about whether it
should be filed as a bug was not answered in the archive. It was more that
the API changed and new calls created to provide the level of control the
enquirer wanted over the encoding. That is a risk with all libraries. As I
read it, using the new function did solve the problem. It may not have been
good to change an existing function behaviour but there was a hint that the
problem arose from engaging with the API at too low a level.

> > Except for the fact that FC3 ships 2.6.16...  But yes, definitely a
> > good thing.
> > :)
> Even with 2.6.16 of libxml, there is no *visible* problem as long as you
> keep opening your file with libxml.

With the encoding specified in future XML, even this theoretical problem
should disappear, including on FC3. (Which is why the standard exists, after
all.)

> I downloaded libxml 2.6.20 and the bug disappeared. The fix might be
> related to this email
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2004-November/msg00192.html

As I read that, it relates to outputbuffers that GnuCash never used - at least
not directly.

> So, there is no encoding problem.

But there is a net benefit. Thanks for highlighting this - it's something I'd
missed and now there is a fix on it's way. Good news all round.

--

Neil Williams