Thank you for all you've done!

Rene Gerlich rene.gerlich at gmx.de
Fri Sep 30 01:03:26 EDT 2005

I have gone through quite some thinking about whether I should send
this eMail to the devel-list or not. My first impression was not to,
as I generally find it a bit awkward to publicly announce a donation.
It has something about showing off and telling everyone what a big
c... one has. But there's also a good side to it. Especially when it
comes to gnucash. You developer hackers should know just how much
your software means to me and what it has done to my life! Maybe the
story behind the money is worth even more... So here you go:

I am a daily GnuCash user for over three years. I ran into this
software by accident just at the right time. I got a new job which
basically doubled my income which must have burned out some fuses in
my brain. I kept spending more and more money, would travel first
class and stupid stuff like that.

The last thing I bought before my account reached the credit limit
was an old Sun Ultra 5. I installed Ximian and found gnucash by
accident. I've learned book-keeping in school, so I was familiar with
the basic functionality quickly. Since that day, May 10th, 2005, I
have been using gnucash pretty much every day for at least 15
minutes, sometimes hours, to get my finances in order. On that day,
my life had changed. I started keeping track of each cent, quickly
found my way to split transactions and various reports. But most of
all, about half a year later, my account was ballanced out and I had
all my depts paid back. After about two years of very strict spending
policies I started living again, and now it is fun, because I can
afford things now without feeling bad about it. I don't have to worry
if I can afford it or not. I know! And it there's something too
expensive to by in one month, like a new bycicle or Mac, I just book
it as an asset and write it off over a longer time ;-)

Some stats: My datafile has almost reached the 10MB marker (which has
forced me into buying a new computer because the loading time started
to bug me ;-). I have about 250 accounts (thats a guess, I have no
idea how to figure out the exact number other then counting them). My
paycheck transaction involves 14 different accounts, booking every
different tax and whatever is special about the transaction. This is
very helpful when the employer changes something or other for
whatever reason. I am usually the first one to notice if he's
screwing us again ;-)

I have spread the word to all of my friends for years, but hardly
anyone is as picky about it as I. I have also used it to help my
brother keep track of his finances. He ran into a similar but more
serious situation as I once, but has no clue about computers. So I
kept his books for him over the phone! Anything goes!

Anyway, I figured it is about time the project got some benefit from
this. Everyone has done a tremendous job with this brilliant piece of
software, and I am thankful to each one of you! Finally it was time
for a reasonable donation to the project! You deserve every penny! I
am not sure where I would be today if I did not run into gnucash back
then. I'd probably still be in dept even more, and would have a much
more stressful life. You have no idea how happy I am it turned out
differently!

Buy a large (!) beer and a pizza for every developer. If the amount
doesn't cover that, get back to me!

Cheers!

Rene