GnuCash Concept Guide

David Grant david.grant at telus.net
Thu Apr 6 20:32:45 EDT 2006

Christian Stimming wrote:
> Recently I also investigated the possibility of editing the whole
> "Tutorial Guide" and also the "Help" directly inside a wiki instead of
> the DocBook files. However, that's not quite possible. It is easily
> possible to import an existing DocBook file collection into the
> MediaWiki, but the other way round is not possible (yet). DocBook is a
> much more constrained file format, so this importing would be an import
> with data loss. The data reconstruction upon export (from MediaWiki to
> DocBook) somehow hasn't been implemented anywhere, so this is not an
> option.

This is possible.

You could use Drupal with the book module, and this module:
http://drupal.org/node/38757. There is some mention of it here with an
example output: http://www.puregin.org/node/688. More here:
http://drupal.org/node/24616

This: http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/ would be more trim
however, without all of drupal in there. Here's an example of its use
for the Albanian constitution: http://www.soft.inima.al/kushtetuta
"Kushtetuta (Constitution) is the initial web application which
represents online the Albanian Constitution. DocBookWiki is a successor
of Kushtetuta, intended to improve and to generalize it."

Although converting the entire gnucash site to drupal wouldn't be a bad
idea.

But why do you even need docbook in the first place? Why not just use
mediawiki?

I definitely recommend putting all the documentation in some form of
wiki or drupal form so that anyone can edit pages easily.

David