GnuCash Concept Guide

Bengt Thuree bengt at thuree.com
Thu Apr 6 22:24:46 EDT 2006

On Fr, 2006-04-07, 09:32, David Grant skrev:

> But why do you even need docbook in the first place? Why not just use
> mediawiki?
>
> I definitely recommend putting all the documentation in some form of
> wiki or drupal form so that anyone can edit pages easily.

Ok, I am definitely not an expert in this area :)
Anyway, having it on a wiki format would be great for the easy of updating
it. You have to be online to do serious work though.

But docbook is the standard format for documentation as far as I
understand, and after checking the links it seems to me that the various
tools to convert from wiki to docbook is at beta stage, and with not
perfect result yet.

DocBook can also be formated to a number of different formats, which is
not easy to do from mediawiki.

I can imagine a lot of people would like to have a small hardcopy
(printed) manual next to them when they are using GnuCash for the first
few times, or just simply checking up on the features and how to do
things.

The other things with anyone editing the files. Where will we store the
sample databases? As it is now, it seems we will have one database for
each chapter and store it in SVN together with the various chapters.

I agree though, updating/creating the document through a media like
mediawiki would be a lot easier. Am not quite sure that the end result
would be suitable though. Or?

A possible compromise would be to start the work in MediaWiki, and then
move it (manually perhaps) to DocBook format and possible "remove" the
MediaWiki entry, since we can only have one original. This would give us
the DocBook advantages, with MediaWiki creating advantages. Yes, not fun
with the manual conversion to DocBook though.

Or perhaps we simple decide that the documentation should only be in
MediaWiki format on the web. Not to good if you ask me.

Anyway, I'll the more experienced people have their say in this :)

/Bengt