Somewhat OT: Packaging and Canonical repository for qof gnucash svn or qof cvs

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 14:28:34 EDT 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 3:29 pm, Andrew Duggan wrote:
> Which is the real source for getting QOF?

SourceForge.

Thanks for pointing out the problems with anonymous CVS at SF - I knew about
the developer access and I've now committed the 0.6.4 changes successfully -
but I didn't realise anonymous was down still.

(Every system has downtime but I do see why gnucash doesn't use SF for CVS/svn
anymore.)

> As recently as 20 minutes ago the
>   svn of gnucash had a way more up-to-date QOF than a cvs checkout from
> QOF's sourceforge cvs.

I always commit to QOF CVS  at SourceForge before any commits to gnucash - if
only because the testing within gnucash takes longer.

QOF CVS at SF is always more up to date via developer access - it's a problem
at SF that has meant this isn't coming through to anonymous access. My
apologies. This is the first time that QOF CVS has had an interruption due to
SourceForge problems.

> Should I bother with the QOF sourceforge cvs or not?

Yes. This temporary problem will be fixed and if you need help in the
meantime, contact me on the QOF-devel mailing list (to save more off-topic
messages on gnucash-devel):

QOF CVS at SourceForge is the canonical QOF source.

You need all the build files from SF to be able to build QOF as an external
library - the gnucash sources in lib/libqof/ have a slightly customised build
environment to suit gnucash.

The biggest difference is that gnucash lib/libqof builds without libqof-sql.so
or libgda2-dev. i.e. it lacks SQL-type handling.

> Any recommendations?

1. If you already have a SF checkout, you can update the source from
gnucash/lib/libqof by copying the *.c and *.h files. Note that the gnucash
Makefile.am is subtly different to the qof version and will not work in the
qof source tree. In effect, you are doing the reverse of how I update gnucash
svn from QOF CVS. Just copy the .c and .h files.

2. There are changes in 0.6.4 that involve removing gnc-engine-util.h and
gnc-engine-util.c in favour of qofutil.h and qofutil.c. qof-be-utils.h has
also been removed (merged into qofutil.h). References in the old qof
Makefile.am would need to be altered if this has not already been done with
your last update. Removing these files by hand may complicate a subsequent
CVS update.

Contact me on QOF-devel for detailed information.

--

Neil Williams