Questions on translations

Bernie bernie-lists at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 19 09:23:48 EDT 2006

Hi there,

I'm currently working on the Dutch translations of Gnucash 1.9.5 and making
lots of progress. In this process however, a few questions came up:

1) According to the Gnucash translation Wiki:
======
Inside the po/glossary/ directory should be a "glossary" file for your
language. This file contains a bunch of commonly used terms found in gnucash.
It is recommended that you get this file translated first, and use it as a
guide when translating the real .po file. Please keep in mind that this file
will never be visible to a user! The glossary file is only a tool for you,
the translator! I repeat: The strings from the glossary file will never be
user-visible, they are only used by you, the translator.
======
and in the glossary file itself:
======
#. "English Definition (Dear translator: This file will never be visible to
the user! It should only serve as a tool for you, the translator. Nothing
more.)"
======
If these strings are never visible to the user, then what is the purpose of
this file ??? How should this file be a guide or a tool to translating the
real .po file ??

2) I see a lot of terms with an underscore left to a letter; apparently this
is to underline letters in menus for shortcuts using the Alt-button. How to
deal with these underscores when the dutch translation doesn't contain the
letter that is underlined in Enlish ?

3) At the end of the .po file (from line 21122 on) there are a lot of terms
commented out with a hash # and without any description or reference to
source code above it, like:
=====
#~ msgid "_Commodity Editor"
#~ msgstr "A_rtikelen bewerken"

#, fuzzy
#~ msgid "Select currency/security"
#~ msgstr "Selecteer valuta/waardepapier"

#, fuzzy
#~ msgid "<b>Commodity Information</b>"
#~ msgstr "Informatie opsplitsen"

#, fuzzy
#~ msgid "New Commodity"
#~ msgstr "Vlottende activa"

#~ msgid "Select currency/security "
#~ msgstr "Selecteer valuta/waardepapier"

#, fuzzy
#~ msgid "_Currency/security:"
#~ msgstr "Valuta/waardepapier:"

#, fuzzy