GnuCash Guide CH8

Bengt Thuree bengt at thuree.com
Wed Apr 19 22:42:43 EDT 2006

On To, 2006-04-20, 07:34, David Herman skrev:
> Attached is a TAR of the updated screen-shots for GnuCash V2.0 Guide for
> Investing chapter (currently 8).  Also included is the SVN -DIFF and the
> new XML.

Hi Dave

Very nice with some examples for selling with profit as well as with a loss.
I have not checked, but is there any report(s) that can be included as
well to illustrate it a bit more?

Some small comments

Missed the ".png" for the first screenshot
	      <imagedata fileref="figures/invest_AccountsPredef"
	      srccredit="Dave Herman" format="PNG"/>

The Starting Balances should be changed to Opening Balance
(according to the druid)
	Starting Balances --> Opening Balance

Should we really have the following hierarchy (chapter 2.2)
	Income
  	  Investement
    	    Brokerage Accounts
      	      Capital Gains
                I*Trade
I mean, the Captial Gains is not a Brokerage Account or
So perhaps just (which is what you have in Expenses)
	Income
  	  Investement
	    Capital Gains
              I*Trade

Section 3.1 do not follow screenshot in 3.2
3.1	Income
	  Bank ABC
	    Interest

3.2	Income
	  Interest Income
	    CD
	    Saving

Note in 4.1 and 8 do not match sample in 2.2

4.2
6)	* Type - Change the type from current to the exchange where the
security/commodity is traded (in this example NASDAQ).
		(You can type in a new exchange as well)

Symbol/abbreviation should have its own "*"
  Also, this Symbol is the stock ticker in your quote source source, not
on the Exchange itself.
  For Amazon on Nasdaq Exchange is AMZN, but Ericsson on Stockholm
Exchange is ERIC-B while on Yahoo it is ERICB.ST

  "Get On-Line Quotes" should be highlighted, and if it is not tickable,
then the F:Q package is not installed.

5.1 Screenshot do not match text. Equity:Opening Balances vs Equity:Starting
	I am having some problem matching the instruction in the text with the
screenshot.
		transfer from Equity:Opening Balances, Shares (eg: 100), and Price (eg:
$20).
	This sounds like one transaction, but it is two.
	How about commission?

	Title of screenshot is a bit weird. Perhaps "This image shows the initial
stock purchase"

5.2	Commission? Some people wants to track it, and some don't. Perhaps we
should show how to track it?

6.3	GnuCash will not display the "Get Quotes" button, as well as the tick
box for online quotes
		if F:Q is not installed.

6.3.2	I am still missing clarification on the syntax and what
$HOME/gnucash.xac is.
		Especially since the main datafile is called gnucash or rather
GuideInvestExample in this case.

6.4 Options button?

8 Would be nice with two examples with screenshots for dividend with cash
as well as re-invested.

By the way, the XML file is invalid (according to XMLmind) I think
something is of in 4.2

Just my small thoughts here..

/Bengt

p.s.
I hate screenshots... and redoing them...