GnuCash Guide CH8

Dave Herman dvherman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 10:24:43 EDT 2006

Bengt Thuree wrote:
> In the chapter for selling stocks, the following is stated.
> ---
> The proper recording of the stock sale *must* be done using a split
> transaction. In the split transaction, you must account for the profit (or
> loss) as coming from an Income:Capital Gains account (or Expense:Capital
> Loss).
> ---
>
> But in the example and the sample account structure, you do not refere nor
> use the Expense:Capital Loss account.
>
> I guess it would be better to have a Expense:Capital Loss account, or?
> Or is it ok with a Negative Income:Capital Gain account?
>
> /Bengt

I am interested in others reactions, I have a preference to the
"negative Capital gains" as it give a very useful report in the Tax Summary.
In the US Capital Loss is used to offset Capital gains.  I have not
investigated the use of Expense sub accounts on the Tax reporting.
Should I say the that is "left for the student" ?   Should this be ask
in "CashCash User"?

I did not discuss the impact of the account structure on the various
reports due to
the differences internationally.

One area that I think is weak in the Guide is the "reports".

Dave