GnuCash Guide CH8

Bengt Thuree bengt at thuree.com
Sat Apr 29 11:27:18 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 08:24 -0600, Dave Herman wrote:
> Bengt Thuree wrote:
> > In the chapter for selling stocks, the following is stated.
> > ---
> > The proper recording of the stock sale *must* be done using a split
> > transaction. In the split transaction, you must account for the profit (or
> > loss) as coming from an Income:Capital Gains account (or Expense:Capital
> > Loss).
> > ---
> >
> > But in the example and the sample account structure, you do not refere nor
> > use the Expense:Capital Loss account.
> >
> > I guess it would be better to have a Expense:Capital Loss account, or?
> > Or is it ok with a Negative Income:Capital Gain account?
> >
> > /Bengt
> >

> I am interested in others reactions, I have a preference to the
> "negative Capital gains" as it give a very useful report in the Tax Summary.

Key thing I think, is that it is supported in the various reports.
The other main thing is that the Guide is consistent all the way, or?

> In the US Capital Loss is used to offset Capital gains.  I have not
> investigated the use of Expense sub accounts on the Tax reporting.
> Should I say the that is "left for the student" ?   Should this be ask
> in "CashCash User"?
>
> I did not discuss the impact of the account structure on the various
> reports due to
> the differences internationally.
>
> One area that I think is weak in the Guide is the "reports".

This is one area I hoped to be able to write something on as well..
But hopefully someone else can jump in and eagerly take on it :)
Especially since I have not used all reports...

I am fairly certain we can provide our sample data files, or simply use
a QIF/OFX test import file.

Also, the appendix should be updated with a chapter on OFX, HBCI, and
QIF structures I think.

> Dave
/Bengt