Invoice import - is this possible yet?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 2 15:08:25 EDT 2006

Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> I think "generate a balance sheet and save it here" isn't something
>> that can be easily scripted at this point in time.  Doing this without
>> an X display is way way far off, at least with gnucash.  Doing the QSF
>> import may be possible in a medium-term with something like cashutil,
>> but it's still interactive.
>
> This sounds like a classic case of the need to separate the model and
> the view.

With the reports, yeah, it would be relatively straightforward to have
gnucash generate the report for you without requiring a UI.  The
problem is that the /export/ is done through GtkHTML, which requires a
GUI.

It's easy to come in after eight years of development and with the
third (or fourth!) generation of developers and point out how the
design is broken..  Unfortunately that's not helpful.  :( Yeah, it
would be nice if gnucash had a better MVC design, but unfortunately it
doesn't.  This could get fixed relatively simply in some places, but
harder in others.