Invoice import - is this possible yet?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Aug 2 16:51:28 EDT 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:

> With the reports, yeah, it would be relatively straightforward to have
> gnucash generate the report for you without requiring a UI.  The
> problem is that the /export/ is done through GtkHTML, which requires a
> GUI.
>
> It's easy to come in after eight years of development and with the
> third (or fourth!) generation of developers and point out how the
> design is broken..  Unfortunately that's not helpful.  :(

But it is vital. Refactoring is a constant process, the design flaws are
highlighted, they are fixed, and the project moves on. Remember that as
soon as a project's biggest problem is solved, its second biggest
problem becomes the new bigger problem, and the cycle repeats. Gnucash's
biggest flaw - lack of support for Gnome2 - has just been solved. It's
now time to identify and solve the next set of challenges.

For me, Gnucash's now biggest flaw is "it doesn't work well with
others". I need it to synchronise the customer and vendor databases with
external sources, like LDAP. I need a way to automate repetitive
processes, like invoice creation. The import and export of data needs to
be further improved. Luckily this process has already started, with the
integration of Gnucash and aqbanking. The process simply needs to be
continued and improved.

Others may have other priorities to work on, which is ok too. Building
software is work that is never done. :)

Regards,
Graham