slow gnucash startup

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 3 13:39:05 EDT 2006

Hi,

Please be sure to CC gnucash-devel on all your replies...

Quoting Kathryn Grote <cwgrote at netwitz.net>:

> On Wednesday 02 August 2006 14:32, you wrote:
>> Kathryn Grote <cwgrote at netwitz.net> writes:
>> > Over the weekend I installed SUSE 10.1 and also the packages required to
>> > compile gnucash 2.0.0. The compile went OK and the first startup was
>> > normal. I opened our previous datafile and everything looked OK. Now
>> > however subsequent opens take four or five minutes. I thought perhaps
>> > 2.0.1 fixed a known issue and compiled it, but the slow startup still
>> > persists. What can I do to debug or fix this problem?
>>
>> Huh.  Do you have lots of open reports?
>> What's the screen doing/saying during the slowdown of open?
>>
>> -derek
> Derek,
>
> Thanks for your reply to my problem. We have not yet opened any reports in
> 2.0.  After the five-minute wait for gnucash to open it responds just fine to
> whatever we do. I started it from the command line and during the wait for
> the open no messages are displayed on the console.  Is a gnucash log file
> being generated anywhere that could be checked for activity that is happening
> during the wait? Thanks again for your help.

Unfortunately you didn't answer my question about what gnucash appears
to be doing during these five minutes.  Did the splash screen come up?
Did the main window come up?

There is a log file, /tmp/gnucash.trace, but it might not have much in
it.  Then again, it might.  You could look.

Is this a local display or a remote display?