My Wish List

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 07:12:35 EDT 2006

I would like to operate gnucash under Windows, not because I am a
Windows fan but for ease of transitioning from Quicken to gnucash (I
have too many years of data for a quick test).  I am currently trying
to make gnucash work under the cygwin environment with the current
version of gnucash, and there is hope yet (but slow going).

However, in the long term I wonder if there is any interest in going
another route:

  -use a cross-platform solution GUI like Qt, fltk2, or wxWidgets
(please, not java);
      or perhaps perl or python GUIs
  -convert the whole C code base to C++
  -eliminate scheme/guile
  -use a self-contained Windows package and installer for that version

The advantage for an easily-installed Windows gnucash would be a huge
potential market of disillusioned Quicken users who don't have the
patience for any of the low-level things Linix/Unix folks are used
to--they want plug-and-play.

-Tom