OS X/Intel Mac Update (Success!)

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 10 22:54:51 EDT 2006

On Aug 7, 2006, at 11:44 PM, Kevin Foss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Inspired by some comments on the darwinports list about bugs in
> libgnomecanvas and Intel Macs, I tried recompiling libgnomecanvas and
> can now successfully open registers and enter transactions in GnuCash
> on my Dual Core iMac.
>
> The darwinports email is here: http://www.opendarwin.org/pipermail/
> gnome-darwinports/2006-July/000823.html
>
> The 'fix' is to recompile libgnomecanvas at optimization level -
> O1.    I adjusted fink's .info file for libgnomecanvas2 accordingly,
> rebuilt and installed the debs, and installed gnucash 2.0.1 from the
> tarball using the wiki instructions for OS X.
>
> Seems to work fine -- registers, reports, etc., and I'm impressed
> with the speed on this machine.
>
> It is still a bit of a work around and it's unclear to me if this is
> a gcc bug (as suggested in the email referenced above) or what... but
> it works!

Well the Fink-folk have deemed it an adequate fix -- the
libgnomecanvas2 packaging file was updated tonight to include the
change.

The person working on the gnucash packaging file has tested several
other optimization settings, and it looks like several of the common
ones, including the one recommended (in general) by Apple produce
broken binaries with Intel Macs. -O1 works with libgnomecanvas2, so
it's in. The new libgnomecanvas2.info has also bumped the version of
glib2 needed to 2.12.0, but that's already in fink  10.4 unstable
along with the new libgnomecanvas2.

Thanks for figuring this one out.

> -Kevin

Dave