Web interface for gnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 8 13:15:30 EDT 2006

"Graham Leggett" <minfrin at sharp.fm> writes:

> On Mon, August 7, 2006 8:03 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> If you specifically want something web-based, you might want to
>> look at SQL-Ledger.  GnuCash is meant to be a desktop app.  There
>> is ONE developer who thinks there might be use as a web app,
>> but I think he stands alone in that goal.
>
> It's sad that people should be actively criticised for suggesting new
> things for the project. The gnucash project seems to suffer significantly
>>From this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Invented_Here

Pardon?  Who was critisizing whom?  If you know anything about me
(and clearly you don't if you think I have an NIH problem!) you would
know that I wholeheartedly advocate reusing tools (whether internal
tools or external tools) to achieve goals.  However, that doesn't
mean that any feature request is a reasonable direction for the
GnuCash project.

Indeed, the original question was about web-based accounting, and
I suggested a web-based accounting project.  How is this criticism?
Indeed, I would think it's very helpful to point someone to the
right tool for their stated goals.

Yes, GnuCash is a very pretty hammer..   But it should still only
be used when you really have a nail.  In this case, they had a screw,
so I pointed them to a screwdriver.

I'm sorry if you feel that was inappropriate or "sad".