Web interface for gnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 8 13:21:08 EDT 2006

"Graham Leggett" <minfrin at sharp.fm> writes:

> Obviously, but I get the impression that attempts to develop the project
> in certain directions, or to implement certain features, will be blocked
>>From the project because "it's supposed to work this way, and not that
> way", even if the new functionality is potentially very useful to end
> users.

I think it depends on the direction and focus and proposed feature.
How well does it fit into the existing code/architecture, or is it
a completely new direction?  How much does a change require?  Is it
something that can be done easily or does it require rototilling
the code?  The more invasive a change the more it'll be poked and
prodded and examined before being accepted.

I'll also point out that the original mail said nothing about DOING
the work.  We get tons of feature requests in the form "why doesn't
gnucash do Foo" or "why doesn't gnucash work THIS way"...  This mail
sounded just like that, so I responded accordingly.

Send in a patch and it will be reviewed as thoroughly as any other
patch that's submitted, and probably even committed (depending on
the quality of the patch, of course).

Send in a design proposal and it will be reviewed and you will receive
comments about your proposed feature.  Well-considered designs
are encouraged, but keep in mind that we prefer consise text.
This shows you've thought about the problem and understand how
you think you can tackle the problem you're proposing to fix.

Send in "gnucash should do X" and you'll get the reply you did.