[rms at gnu.org: Some problems on gnucash.org]

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed Aug 9 15:25:59 EDT 2006

Am Dienstag, 8. August 2006 22:46 schrieb Linas Vepstas:
> GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting software,
> freely licensed under the GNU GPL and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD,
> Solaris and Mac OSX. GnuCash is part of the

It didn't occur to me that the current GnuCash project (read: the currently
active developers) consider GnuCash as part of the GNU project or vice versa,
or that it ever has been considered this way. I wouldn't understand if we
added such a statement right now without any further relation between the GNU
project and ours, except for that part of the name... :-)

> A harder change would be to hack the logo and change it from
> "open source finance software" to
> "free software for financial management" or
> "free software for finance".

Actually the website title reads "Open Source Accounting Software", whereas
the logo reads "Open Source Finance Software". Clearly we need to stick to
one title in the website and the logo.

As for the "Free" vs. "Open Source": This should probably rather be discussed
by english monther tongue speakers, but for me the words "free" and "finance"
shouldn't appear directly in the same program title, as this would clearly
point into the beer meaning of the "free" instead of the speech one. That's
precisely the reason why "open source" was created as a slogan in the first
place, and IMHO for exactly that reason I'd rather use this label instead of
adding the ambiguity. I think everyone knows that RMS thinks differently on
this one, but in our project I think it's us who need to decide on the
labeling here.

Nice to hear he has heard about our project, though :-)

Christian