Patch for New Customer dialog

Michael D. Wise micwise at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 16 06:16:28 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 07:13 +0100, Andreas Köhler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Do, 2006-12-14 at 13:16 -0600, micwise at bellsouth.net wrote:
> > > From: Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>
> > > No attachment.
> > Sorry about that. Here it is.

> That is great!
>
> I will note some points, but they are not meant as criticism. I would
> love it if we could settle on them and have a clean, uniform look in the
> end :) Maybe I am a bit pedantic though...

I appreciate your time to give me some advice.  I'm very new at this.  I
agree that all dialogs should follow a consistent style.  I sent a patch
for the New Employee dialog and a second patch for the New Customer
before I read you message.  I'll go back and take a look at them.

> * GtkDialogs should not have separators (glade: tab Widget, last option)

I wondered about this.  I'll turn the off.

> * GtkDialogs use a 5px border around the action area and a 2px border
> around the content in the default style. Therefore I suggest to set the
> border of the dialog to 7px, the border of the main child (notebook
> here) to 5px and the spacing between it and the buttons to 8px. That way
> the OK button is 12px to the lower right corner and the distance between
> the notebook and the buttons equals 18px. What do you think?

I've changed to borders on the dialog and the notebook, but I'm not sure
of the best way change the spacing between it and the buttons. Could you
give me some pointers on that.

> * I like the 6px border of the frames, but rather set a 6px border for
> the tab, make the frame borders 0px, but at a spacing of 12px. Visually
> it is the same, but I think it is more closely to what you want to
> design (and easier to raise to 12px if you decide to do that later)

Yes that does look and work better.

> * What about 6px between the entry fields? This would mean 6px after the
> frame captions too... Proposal: One table per frame and HPadding of 12px
> for each label. Open preferences.glade if you want to see what I mean :)

I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you send me an example of what
you mean using the customer dialog?  I could then compare the
differences.

> * May you remove all "always show scrollbar" policies for
> GtkScrolledWindows, please? I have done for some, but the business glade
> files still have them ;) I guess mostly "automatic" is the right choice.

Sure, I changed to it automatic.  We should only use vertical correct?

> That is all I have so far. If you want to dive into the source code too,
> here are three other gotchas:

Thanks for you help.  I don't know much about coding.  I hope to learn
more as I go along.

> * we leak GladeXML objects and it would be good if every code that
> allocates memory for them makes sure that it is freed once the root
> widget is destroyed. This can be done with
> g_object_set_data_full(G_OBJECT(mywidget), "xml", xml, g_object_unref);
> (at least) like in dialog-account.c
>
> * We present dialogs before they have been filled completely, making
> them grow while opening. This could be solved by unsetting the
> visibility of the root widgets in glade and making sure gtk_widget_show
> is called for it (as late as possible).
>
> * Seems like the Cancel button does not work here...

It should work on my second patch. Let me know if it doesn't.

Michael