2.0.4 release?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 30 21:05:04 EST 2006

Quoting Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb at becket.net>:

> On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 18:00 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> At this point all outstanding patches are sitting in the 2.0 branch,
>> and a "distcheck" worked for me on FC5.  Any chance you could push
>> a 2.0.4 release soon?  I think it's pretty important to push out a
>> release due to bug #389317
>
> I know this is inconvenient, but I think something should be done about
> the glib problem before releasing.  If it can't be solved, at least
> check for the error, or refuse to use recent glib, or *something* better
> than silent failure.

I know David Hampton is looking into it.  Unfortunately there's not a
good runtime check to test the running glib version.. The bastards
decided to change the behavior mid-stream, without making it "easy" to
detect the "broken" glib.   You could compile against a working glib
and then replace the .so and gnucash would fail out from under them.

We were discussing this on IRC today and I believe that the two choices
are:

1) Maintain our own kfeyfile code.   We already sort of did this for glib-2.4
   support, but David didn't want to continue supporting this ourselves.

2) Change the code to retry-on-failure (so we'd have to try each read
   and write twice).

Although I prefer #1, David seems to prefer #2.  He's doing the work so
I'll let him decide.   IMNSHO for now the Debian package can just limit
the compatible glib version.