[Gnucash-changes] r13065 - gnucash/trunk - Fail 'make distcheck' if POTFILES.in contains undistributed files.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Feb 2 03:45:18 EST 2006

Hi Chris,

thanks for implementing a solution to this dist/POTFILES problem.

Chris Shoemaker schrieb:
> In that case, we're not really
> keeping a list of purposely non-translated files -- it's more a list
> of files that _happen_ to be non-translated by virtue of not being
> distributed.  Is that what we want?

As Derek already said:  Yes, that is what we want.

And just to rehash the manual intervention that will be required by your
implemented solution: 1. In case one of the POTFILES.skip files is added
to dist later (e.g. apps_gnucash_dialog_scheduled_transctions.schemas.in
in particular), we will get an error message during make distcheck. 2.
In case other files from POTFILES.in gets removed from dist, we will get
an error message during make distcheck, too.

Does that mean everything is covered? The only other problem might arise
when a file that is currently being ignored by make-gnucash-potfiles
happen to include some translations and should not be ignored anymore.
In that case, the procedure might be as following: A translator
discovers an untranslated string during runtime. She will look into the
xx.po file to look for that string in order to add a translation. She
will discover it isn't there, even after "make pot" and manual msgmerge.
She will then grep through the source tree to find the file where this
string comes from, only to discover this file isn't listed in
POTFILES.in. Now: Is there an easy way to find out *why* a file wouldn't
be listed in POTFILES.in? Maybe the introductory comment at the top of
POTFILES.in should be adapted accordingly to answer precisely that
question (regexps in make-gnucash-potfiles plus POTFILES.skip). If that
is explained obviously enough then everything should be fine.

Christian