[Gnucash-changes] r13065 - gnucash/trunk - Fail 'make distcheck' if POTFILES.in contains undistributed files.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 2 12:24:35 EST 2006

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

> And just to rehash the manual intervention that will be required by your
> implemented solution: 1. In case one of the POTFILES.skip files is added
> to dist later (e.g. apps_gnucash_dialog_scheduled_transctions.schemas.in
> in particular), we will get an error message during make distcheck. 2.
> In case other files from POTFILES.in gets removed from dist, we will get
> an error message during make distcheck, too.

Yes, this is correct.

> Does that mean everything is covered?

I /think/ so..  The only thing we don't test is if a file is in the
dist but is not listed in POTFILES.{in,skip}...  But that case is okay
because we autogenerate POTFILES.in so the only files that wont be
there are the intentionally-ignored files.

>   The only other problem might arise
> when a file that is currently being ignored by make-gnucash-potfiles
> happen to include some translations and should not be ignored anymore.

Well, the only files intentionally ignored my m-g-potfiles are files
that match test, experimental, and gw-.  We don't care about those
directories for translation, so all should be fine.

> In that case, the procedure might be as following: A translator
> discovers an untranslated string during runtime. She will look into the
> xx.po file to look for that string in order to add a translation. She
> will discover it isn't there, even after "make pot" and manual msgmerge.
> She will then grep through the source tree to find the file where this
> string comes from, only to discover this file isn't listed in
> POTFILES.in. Now: Is there an easy way to find out *why* a file wouldn't
> be listed in POTFILES.in? Maybe the introductory comment at the top of
> POTFILES.in should be adapted accordingly to answer precisely that
> question (regexps in make-gnucash-potfiles plus POTFILES.skip). If that
> is explained obviously enough then everything should be fine.

I suppose we COULD do that, but I honestly don't think that's ever
going to be an issue unless something in "experimental" gets put into
real use.  We could put something at the top of POTFILES.skip?  Or put
something in the README.translation..  or....  I don't know.  I think
this is a relatively rare case.