Finishing the neverending QOF flamewar

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Feb 4 02:27:23 EST 2006

Quoting Pierre THIERRY <nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org>:

> Scribit Neil Williams dies 30/01/2006 hora 19:59:
>> > In fixing it, I improved the logging API, without affecting any
>> > existing QOF program.
>> Once again, Chris, that is inaccurate. Implementing logging for
>> modules that do not explicitly set their own log level DOES break
>> functionality in other programs
>
> Naive question from a lurker: is there any sort of unit testing in the
> code that could tell us in a purely logic way if anything is or is not
> broken wrt this problem?

unfortunately no, it's not an objective thing.  The argument is a question
about the specification of the API and how it should work, not whether
the API matches any particular spec.  There's just disagreement about
how it should work, not whether it's working "correctly".

> I don't think a ping/pong of "it's broken", "no it's not" will
> eventually lead to anything useful...

Well, I suppose I could put my foot down, but frankly we've got a "workaround"
that IMHO solves the problem from GnuCash and leaves the API in the state
Neil wants, so in the short term I think we can just end this thread
and say "it's been fixed."