Translations and 1.9.0

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 09:51:56 EST 2006

On Sunday 05 February 2006 2:27 pm, you wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 11:59 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Are we having a string freeze before 1.9.0? If not (and there probably
> > isn't time) can we _use_ 1.9.0 as a platform to get the other translators
> > started on the work for gnucash 2.0.0 ?
>
> Have you read http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule ?

Oops, I forgot about that page - but yes, I do remember the draft proposal and
schedule.

> The proposed string-freeze date is March 13th, concomitant with 1.9.2.

I'm not sure it's long enough still.

> That's about 1.5 months before 2.0.0, assuming it still goes out early
> in May.  Doing a call for translations before the string freeze might
> make sense as there are a lot of strings, and many if not most of them
> won't change.  I defer to cstim on translations-related stuff, but he
> proposed this schedule.

(Hence why I added this bit - which relates to the amount of time allowed for
previous 1.8 releases that had much smaller % changes:)

> > We do have a long list of translations for 1.8 but most of those are not
> > up to date with 1.8.11 yet:
> > http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?domain=gnucash
> >
> > (When I did some work on the en_GB translation, I was asked if it was
> > possible to allow a *lot* more time for other translations than gnucash
> > may have done historically.)

Christian, can we adjust the translation schedule to allow for more time?

Maybe an earlier release of the pot file, prior to a full string freeze.

As long as translators are aware that a small proportion of the strings may
change between now and the real string freeze, they can at least start
working on the probable 1,000 fuzzy and 800 untranslated messages (which is
roughly what I had with the en_GB translation) - about 25% of the entire po
file.

At this early stage, translators don't have to have a final build or string
freeze, just an approximation of the scale of the task.

--

Neil Williams