Translations and 1.9.0

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Sun Feb 5 15:33:13 EST 2006

Christian Stimming wrote:

>You are referring to the 1.8.x translations, where we had a (say) 1.8.5
>release out there, and the next 1.8.6 release needed a little bit translation
>work. The fundamental problem was that the translators of course couldn't
>wait for the official 1.8.6 release (because at that time their translation
>should already be included), but they also couldn't use the 1.8.5 tarball. So
>we needed some "unofficial pre-release package", which was a constant source
>of confusion as soon as I provided one.

Yes, this is starting to ring bells. I think the confusion was that back
in the 1.6 days we had a couple of very well coordinated releases where
we had a string freeze, followed by a "really serious bugfix" only
phase, followed by a release. The 1.8.x releases were less well
coordinated, which is what I was remembering.

>This time everything is different. Every 1.9.x package is a pre-release for
>2.0.0. This will clearly be explained once we come close to a string freeze.
>As I already explained in that other email: Translators *can* start before
>the string freeze, but to avoid potential disappointment about
>changing strings I don't actively encourage that now. See
>http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation_Status . Please wait until we come
>close to a string freeze before you actively invite anyone for translations.

For myself, I'm just keeping an eye on the SVN (now I'm back on board
with testing) and I'll update the .po file as needed.

Nigel