Build and run in separate directory

Andrew Duggan cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 8 11:49:21 EST 2006

Mike Alexander wrote:
> If you try to build gnucash in a directory other than the source
> directory you get a couple of build errors.  If you try to run from that
> directory, it doesn't work quite right either.  It is probably better to
> use an lndir directory for building, but if you don't want to do this,
> the attached patch fixes some of the problems related to building and
> running in a separate directory.  It still uses some things from the
> install tree when running from the build directory, and won't work right
> if you've never installed it, but these patches help some.  I'm sending
> them here since I didn't think this was worth a bug report.

I build gnucash from (what I consider to be ) a different directory all the
time. I build a tarball from my updates svn tree and feed that into an
rpmbuild to make rpm packages.  The rpmbuild process (in my case at least)
untars the tarball into ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/gnucash-1.9.0.  That works even if
I just tar up my svn directory (although the "topdir" of my svn is also
called gnucash-1.9.0).  I have also successfully taken the resulting srpm
and built that on another machine that did not have gnucash installed.

Andrew