Build and run in separate directory

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Feb 8 13:04:19 EST 2006

--On February 8, 2006 11:49:21 AM -0500 Andrew Duggan
<cmkrnl at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I build gnucash from (what I consider to be ) a different directory
> all the time. I build a tarball from my updates svn tree and feed
> that into an rpmbuild to make rpm packages.  The rpmbuild process (in
> my case at least) untars the tarball into
> ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/gnucash-1.9.0.  That works even if I just tar up my
> svn directory (although the "topdir" of my svn is also called
> gnucash-1.9.0).  I have also successfully taken the resulting srpm
> and built that on another machine that did not have gnucash installed.

If I understand what your saying, this isn't quite the same thing.  I'm
talking about building in a directory that doesn't have the source in
it at all.  Suppose the source is in /opt/gnucash/src and you cd into
/opt/gnucash/build and execute "../src/configure --whatever; make".
This case actually works since the build directory is a sibling of the
source directory, but if it isn't then it doesn't work.

Mike Alexander           mta at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6