compiling gnucash2 on FC5-devel (gcc 4.1.0)

warlord at MIT.EDU warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 10 17:39:26 EST 2006

Quoting Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>:

> warlord at MIT.EDU (warlord at MIT.EDU) said:
>> Honestly, I don't know.  I've never seen it cause a problem.  In fact
>> all my development (on FC3) has used g-wrap 1.3.4.   Unforunately the
>> g-wrap-1.9.6 configure script doesn't properly detect the lack of glib1,
>> so it tries to build it even when it's not able to (which is the cause of
>> the g-wrap build error).  I'm not sure whether gnucash2 requires the g-wrap
>> glib bindings...  But you can certainly build g-wrap against glib2 with
>> that small configure modification.
>
> Another silly question - what does 1.9.6 buy you? For FC, I'm still
> at 1.3.x, mainly because of inertia (well, and the fact that if we're
> going to build libffi, it should probably come from the compiler tree.) -
> 1.3.x seems to work fine.

Um, 1.3.4 generates code that does not compile cleanly on gcc-4, whereas
1.9.6 generates gcc-4-safe code.  This means you cannot compile with -Werror
on e.g. FC4 or FC5 if you're building with g-wrap 1.3.4.

Also note that you CAN build gnucash-1.8 against g-wrap-1.9.6.. And also
the runtimes can be installed next to each other (it's only the development
side that conflicts).