New gnucash website - demo available, new content needed.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 03:32:04 EST 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 1:36 am, Conrad Canterford wrote:
> I didn't pry too deeply, but it looks pretty good from here :-)

:-)

> Neil, the donations page shows a balance from June 2004

I've been working on the structure of the site, rather than the content. New
and updated content should be going in soon (and will be simple to update via
svn).

> (and yes, I was
> looking at Neils page, not at the .au mirror site (see below)). Have we
> made a decision not to update this

Other developers have been waiting whilst I completed the restructuring,
that's all.

> While poking around I also looked at the AU mirror site... and worked
> out that it hasn't updated since 2004.

By mirroring the new site in SVN, it is possible to have all mirrors updated
on a continual basis. It doesn't need to be frequent, daily should be fine
and maybe once the new content is in, even weekly. (Except near release time
when the mirrors should really check for news updates more frequently.) Just
set up a cron job and tweak it close to release time. i.e. updates are a
'pull' model, we can't push updates to the mirrors.

All mirrors will carry all translations but individual mirrors may need extra
locales installed to get some translations to work. With enough mirrors,
those who don't have sufficient access to install locales may be able to
redirect to one that does carry the requested translation.

> I believe this is hosted by
> planetmirror (the source mirror link is also broken, and its a
> planetmirror link).

(It doesn't have to stay at planetmirror - if you've got access to
planetmirror or some other hosting space, checkout a copy from svn.)
;-)

I may keep the demo site as a uk/en_GB mirror - the EU mirror does update,
(it's carrying the 1.9.0 announcement) but there's no harm in having another
mirror. (The EU mirror, for some reason, isn't currently displaying the link
back to the US or AU sites but that will change once the mirror moves to
updating via svn.) The EU mirror is using the 'at' subdomain (Austria).

Derek: Would it be useful to direct www.uk.gnucash.org to the demo site at
http://gnucash.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/ ? I could tweak the existing
virtual host at this end if the DNS was to point to the correct IP. Or would
'.gb.' be preferable? (i.e. do we go by DNS TLD country codes or translation
country codes - probably TLD -> uk?)

> Does anyone have any contact with whoever set this up on planetmirror?

Not needed. If there is no-one from this list or the user list who has access
to the old link, just make a new mirror somewhere else where someone does
have access.

There's no limit to the number of mirrors.

> Can we poke them to see if they can get it updating again? Or remove
> it....

If it's not updated, it'll be redirected just as soon as there is a
replacement.
(hint)

--

Neil Williams