Problems running GnuCash 1.9.0 on kubuntu 5.10

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 03:50:56 EST 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 1:44 am, Aaron Larson wrote:
> Thanks, that got it.  Perhaps this is a good place to mention that I
> was pretty confused when installing the dependencies mentioned in
> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/README.dependencies
> The packages listed in the ubuntu 5.10 section don't seem to match
> what I had to install

If you've got a record of what you did install or just have a list of package
names and versions from 'dpkg -l' to replace the ones that don't exist on
Ubuntu, send them to the list as a patch for README.dependencies. I don't
know if Ubuntu changes package names between releases - would package names
in Breezy be any different to Dapper?

> It
> seems like it would be "a good idea" to have a package specification,
> or an apt-get command line, or something that would retrieve the
> required packages.

If you have an update from your own setup, send it in. The need for so many
libg* libraries is because you're running Kubuntu which is predisposed to
KDE, IIRC. It may merit a different section in README.dependencies compared
to Ubuntu which may carry some of the gnome libraries by default.

Remember, gnucash has been updated to Gnome2 libraries but those are still
Gnome libraries, not KDE ones. It will run under KDE (I do it that way) - it
just needs some libraries, not the entire Gnome desktop.

> Pointers to such a thing would be appreciated, or
> if it doesn't exist and its a good idea to have one, suggestions for
> what form it should take and where I could construct it are solicited.

OK. If you know which packages are different:
$ dpkg -l <package-name>
will give you what we need for that package. (that's a lower-case L if it's
unclear.)

> Now, I think I have my first (mini) bug.  When opening a file that the
> user doesn't have read access to, the error is a bit cryptic:
>
>   The file type of file <FILENAME> is unknown.

I know how that happens - gnucash tries to identify the file by letting each
backend try to open it in turn. If none can open it, it complains that it
cannot understand which type of file it is meant to be. We can't use
mimetypes to distinguish the forms (as two are text/xml and we've never
enforced a mime-type on old files) so we do have to open the file to
determine the type.

> Rather than some permission error.

I think we can determine if the problem is the wrong type or the wrong
permissions - probably by trying a fopen() fclose() prior to trying to
determine the type.

The best thing is to submit this to Bugzilla.

> It had me thinking I missed some
> upgrade note or something indicating the file format had changed.  I
> couldn't find a reference to this in Bugzilla.  Is this sort of thing
> considered "bug worthy"?

Yes. If error messages are not helpful or actually misleading, that is a bug.
(normal severity).

--

Neil Williams